1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 baby beets, quartered
8 baby carrots and halved lengthwise
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¼ cup chopped cilantro
¼ tsp cumin
12 cups mixed baby lettuces, such as Bibb, lolla rossa, red salad bowl, red oak
leaf or little gem (12 ounces)
1/2 cup crumbled feta, preferably French (2 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped almonds
1. In a medium skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil.
2. Add the beets and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring once or twice, until the beets are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the honey and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly glazed, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
5. Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar into the skillet along with the cumin, then pour over the vegetables. Let cool slightly.
6. Add the baby lettuces, cilantro and feta to the vegetables and toss. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve right away.